Annual Food Service Notice
July 18, 2022
Fostoria City School district is required to give an annual report regarding compliance with the “Standards for Food and Beverages Act” specifically, policies 3313.814, 3313.816 and 3313.817 The act, in summary, reads as follows:
Food and beverages in schools
• Restricts the sale of certain foods and beverages to students during the regular school day and before- and after-school programs in school districts, community schools, STEM schools, and chartered nonpublic schools, beginning July 1, 2011.
• Exempts from the restrictions food and beverages sold in connection with (1) a school-sponsored fundraiser or other event held outside of the regular school day or (2) an interscholastic athletic event.
• Specifies that, when the Department of Education obtains free computer software for assessing the nutritional value of foods, it must provide the software free of charge to each public and chartered nonpublic school.
• Requires school districts to adopt standards governing beverage sales on school premises (in addition to food sales as under continuing law), and applies the requirement to adopt standards for food and beverage sales on school premises to community schools, STEM schools, and chartered nonpublic schools.
• Requires each school district, community school, STEM school, and chartered nonpublic school to designate staff to prepare an annual report regarding compliance with the standards for food and beverage sales.
• Prohibits the placement of vending machines in classrooms, except in specified circumstances.
• Permits breakfast provided as part of a federal school breakfast program to be offered in the classroom.
• Provides that, if the General Assembly appropriates funds for this purpose, students eligible for breakfast at a reduced price will receive it free of charge.
Fostoria City Schools are compliant in each of the areas as stated above.
Director of Food Service